Friday, December 16, 2016

Paul's favorites

When Bill and I dreamed up the book club idea over 18 years ago I was looking for a way to gather a bunch of men (no women) to read and discuss books to expand our knowledge. The early books were often short and non-fiction and my particular favorites were books that taught me something. 

Given the fact that I am currently the only member still regularly working, I found the writing assignment difficult to narrow down to just five books, but here goes:

1. Martian - This might be my favorite. It is an exciting adventure story that the author makes technologically feasible.
2. Lexus and the Olive Tree - This was the first of many excellent business related books by one of our favorite authors, Thomas Friedman. Still a great explanation of Globalization.
3. Abundance - This books gives hope to entrepreneurs using technology to solve the problems of the world.
4. The World Without Us - The sobering environmental tale of what can happen.
5. Freakonomics - Unique yet rational way of looking at the world.

Other books deserving mention include novels The Art of Racing in the Rain, The DaVinci Code, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Perfect Storm, Slaughterhouse 5, and the Art Forger. Some of my other non-fiction favorites include Henrietta Lacks, The Man Who Killed Pluto, The Presidents Club, The Things They Carried, The Last Lecture, Moneyball, and Younger Next Year.

No comments: