Sunday, December 11, 2016

Dave M's favorites

My 8 favorite books from years past area in no particular order:

Bob Proctor’s, Empire of the Summer Moon is really a shocking book. An early scene depicting a group of Plains Indians roasting their settler captives on an open fire, repeated raids on settlements with men women and children massacred or made slaves. It shows me that there were negative human traits on both sides of the settlement movement with the settlers equally brutal.

Paul LaCombe’s, The Lexus and the Olive Tree introduced me to globalization and it’s incredible scope. I had no idea of its influence on trade and culture. Combined with the internet it led directly to China’s rise, as well as influencing ISIS, Brexit, and other phenomena. There”s no going back.

Bill Lockwood’s, Tortilla Curtain is a very entertaining and well written book that was further enhanced for me by my meeting T.C. Boyle at my 50th High School reunion in upstate New York, of all places.

John Staff’s, The World is Hot Flat and Crowded provides further stories of globalization and more importantly the population explosion worldwide with its effect on our ability to manage food supply, disease epidemics, and the economies of high population areas. The case for population control is laid out here.

John Higgins', Unbroken is an unbelievable story of courage, struggle, and redemption of the amazing Louie Zamperini! Another great Laura Hillenbrand book.

Stan Pine’s, In Art Forger I learned more about the art world than I thought I ever wanted to know.  They had an art auction on recent cruise and I kept wondering how many of the works were forgeries, and by the looks of them, a lot.

Dave Jones’, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a well written mystery. I read it through almost in one sitting, I couldn’t put it down.

My favorite is Cloudsplitter. It had everything a novel should have from familial love, violence, sin, and redemption on a huge stage.

I know this is eight pick’s, but I wanted to include everybody’s efforts. I think picking the right book is the hardest part.

No comments: