Thursday, December 08, 2016

Bill's Favorites

Thank you for this project.  It caused me to revisit all our books and remember wonderful discussions with each and all of you while breaking bread together – okay, and a bit of vino as well.  We are fortunate indeed to have this strong and unusual fellowship.  I am grateful, thank you!

The End of Faith by Sam Harris
Admittedly, Harris presented ideas that fit my worldview – so this book was easy for me to like.  I have often recommended this book to others with: “Harris describes why the collective we cannot have a conversation without using science and its basic laws”.  He pointed out that moderates can & often will subordinate their dogma to common sense (science) and that fundamentalists cannot.  Hence the additional appropriate scrutiny on whichever religion is demonstrating the more fundamentalist views at any given time (Post 9/11 Islam in this case).  As I write this just after the 2016 election, and as an moderate independent who voted democratic in this election, I find having any conversation with “the opposition” difficult at best.  So finding common ground is, and will continue to be, a challenge and a goal. 

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
This relationship between an older dying mentor and his younger protege caused us to talk about mentors and other relationships in our lives in general that influenced us.  From this discussion I made a goal to have more meaningful conversations with those close to me.  I still have much work to do but I am appreciative of the influence.  As Bob Proctor wrote: “The book set the tone for freewheeling discussions that often take us places well beyond the book itself”. Many of our books that seem to have generated the most emotion and sharing have been about the inevitability of death - which tends to help us focus much more on making the most of “this moment” of our lives. 

The Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini
I loved the story of boyhood friendship and the subsequent challenges of 2 boys from different religions and classes.  We were treated to the good and not-so-good side of relationships: fathers and sons; humans and their gods; men & their countries – in a beautifully written story from Afghanistan. 

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
I felt like I lived The Help in some small way.  I moved from the first American melting pot (military dependent housing and schooling) on an army base in Germany – to Columbus, Georgia in 1958 – 4 years before the time period of this book.  I had played, studied, and shared meals with blacks and all other ethnic & religious groups and knew them as friends and neighbors.  Then I went to separate water fountains, bathrooms and schools.   Black fathers had to look away from whites and show subservience – in front of their families – or ….!  I find I am angry still. This book helps me think we have made some progress away from man’s inhumanity to man.  I found it heartwarming, humorous and an accurate depiction of the time & place. 

The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
This was our war when we were young.  I chose to join the national guard to avoid the draft when I dropped out of college with a low lottery number.  I was exposed to a few of the men who went to Vietnam in my 8 weeks of basic training which amounted to living in one large room with fifty 18 to 24 year old “boys” from all walks of life.  Most were from lower socioeconomic backgrounds but not all.  There were a few college grads, dropouts like me, and many who were given the choice of the army or jail.  Some were clearly afraid but still said things like: “I’m going to kill me some gooks”.  In 1971, the year after my boot camp, a fellow worker at a lumber company who had just returned from a tour in Nam said: “sometimes we would mow down water buffalo”.  I avoided him thereafter but feel like I understand him a bit better after having read this book.  I very much like the writing – just not the subject matter.  But sometimes we learn more from what is not so easy.

No comments: