Sunday, October 30, 2016

John S Favoites












Several years ago I selected my five favorite books as A Short History About Nearly Everything, Holes, End of Faith, The World is Flat, and Night of the Avenging Blowfish. Since then we have read many books that I have found to be equally enjoyable. I would put my favorite books in the same following categories:

1. History and interesting information
2. Children and young adults
3. Thought provoking
4. Important issues and events
5. Fun reads

I enjoy learning new things and no book had more general information than A Short History of Nearly Everything. We have read several historical books involving the presidents and politics, conflicts and wars, and adventures. We have also read books on science and the cosmos. It is difficult to choose a favorite in this category since each one addresses a different event, so I am stinking with Bryson's book over Endurance, Ship of Gold and the Deep Blue Sea, Killer Angels, Garfield and so many more. Bryson is such a good writer that he is able to present a tremendous amount of information in a book that is both enjoyable and understandable.

The children and young adult category has a few really good reads from The Education of Little Tree, to Harry Potter, to Holes, to Hunger Games. Even though Hunger Games is a young adult book I will have it edging out Holes. The series of books are exciting page turners based on a scary futuristic world.

The thought provoking books include Dave's psychological additions, studies on human nature, and religion. Many of our fiction books fall in this category. There is always Tuesdays with Morie and When Breath Becomes Air. I still find End of Faith extremely powerful and put it ahead of the rest in this group. The book addressing the disturbing consequences of religious extremism.

The books on important issues is similar to the previous category but a little more concrete. Stanley introduced us to a few books on politics that have help explain some things and Dave brought in a couple on medicine. Friedman's books on globalization and the middle east have been high on my list. I also liked Zakaria's book, Zanzabar's chest, and the recent books Muzzled and Hillbilly Elegy. However I have to pick one of the environmental books. There have been a several including The Once and Future World, Upsizing, and Getting to Green, but I will go with Countdown. Countdown takes on the urgency of the taboo subject of overpopulation.

The final category is fun reads and this includes so many really good books. John H. bought us many exciting and manly books and Bob bought us a variety of fun stories. I still like the silly comedies like Blowfish, Me Talk Pretty Some Day, and Good Monkey. I really liked The Art of Racing in the Rain and The Art Forger, but I will go with the groups only perfect 5, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The book had interesting characters, settings, suspense, and story line.

No comments: